Chilford Hall Vineyard and the stylish Garden Rooms provide the perfect setting for a wide range of events from corporate functions, team building days and conferences to weddings and wine tastings.
Set in 40 acres of rolling Cambridgeshire countryside, Chilford has been the Alper family home since 1965.
The internationally famous Chilford Hall Vineyard, originally laid out in 1972 with further planting between 1974 and 1976, currently has 18 acres in production. Award-winning pink and white wines are produced, both in still and sparkling styles, with 'Aluric de Norsehide' Quality Sparkling Wine being the flagship product. Winemaking and bottling are carried out in the timber-framed winery building, which was moved from the village of Linton in 1976 prior to its demolition thereby protecting a classical heritage building. The purpose-built cellar features pillar-facings from the Long Bar at Waterloo station also saved from destruction by the foresight of Sam Alper, the founder.
At every turn art, sculpture, artefacts and architecture, reveal themselves, to relay a classic story of preservation and collection. Walking the peaceful grounds reveals sights of surprise, beauty and relaxation.
Links with the world of art were strengthened in 1989, when the existing Chilford Hall Press was merged with the world renowned Curwen Studio when it moved to its present site at Chilford Hall. It continues to work with artists on a collaborative basis in the production of fine art original printmaking. This operation specialises in lithography with a heritage over many years of printing for Henry Moore, John Piper, Barbara Hepworth, John Lennon and many others. Today the studio now concentrates on limited-edition lithography, numbering among its artists H.R.H. The Prince of Wales, Paula Rego, Kyffin Williams, R.B. Kitaj and Rolf Harris.
To complete the circle of maintaining historical skills and the pursuit of excellence the Cambridge Curwen Print Study Centre, an educational charity, was established in 1996 to afford the opportunity to all who have an interest in fine arts to express their skills in an atmosphere of creativity and support.
Chilford Hall 1820-2012
Originally a working farm, over many decades, Chilford Hall benefited from many improvements and changes. The Great Hall, a grade II listed building dating from 1820, was tastefully refurbished and is lined with an extensive collection of agricultural artefacts. The Gallery was added in 1971, and in 1997 major alterations were made to the Pavilion. Following a serious fire on June 13th, 2012, the contemporary style Chilford Hall Garden Rooms were constructed, to offer guests a unique new event space for corporate events, private parties, weddings and civil cermonies.
Chilford Hall continues to change, to update, to upgrade so that we can continue to provide new experiences for all our visitors.